Horns get singles wins from freshman Kellen Damico and senior Luis Diaz Barriga in 4-2 loss to Baylor in the finals of the 2008 Big 12 Championship; Texas awaits NCAA Tournament selection announcement on Tuesday, April 29.
Top-seeded Texas (20-5) picked up singles victories from freshman Kellen Damico and senior Luis Diaz Barriga, but the Horns fell just shy of second-seeded Baylor (21-8), as the Bears scored a 4-2 victory Sunday in the finals of the 2008 Big 12 Tennis Championship.
Sunday’s match was delayed one hour and 15 minutes by rain, and the match began with the singles session due to the potential of lingering unsettled weather. Diaz Barriga put Texas on the board first with a 6-2, 7-5 win at fourth singles over Gwen Corches. Baylor responded at the first slot, where Denes Lukacs pushed past Texas sophomore Dimitar Kutrovsky, 7-5, 6-3.
The Bears assumed a 2-1 lead when Attila Bucko outlasted Texas junior Miguel Reyes Varela in three sets, 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 at fifth singles. The Horns evened the tally at two when Damico rebounded from a second-set loss to finish off David Galic at second singles, 6-4, 5-7, 6-2.
Baylor’s Dominik Mueller dropped his first set to UT freshman Ed Corrie at third singles before rallying for a 6-7 (6), 6-4, 6-2 win to give the Bears the lead. A Baylor victory at sixth singles clinched the match in favor of the Bears, eliminating the need for a doubles session, as Jordan Rux defeated UT sophomore Josh Zavala, 6-7 (7), 6-3, 6-3.
Texas likely will host first- and second-round matches in the NCAA Championship, which gets underway on Friday, May 9. The NCAA Championships selection announcement will air on Tuesday, April 29 at 1 p.m. Central on ESPNEWS.
Big 12 Championship – Men’s Final
No. 2 Baylor 4, No. 1 Texas 2
1. (#11) Denes Lukacs, BU def. (#10) Dimitar Kutrovsky, UT, 7-5, 6-3.
2. (#38) Kellen Damico, UT def. David Galic, BU, 6-4, 5-7, 6-2.
3. (#110) Dominik Mueller, BU def. (#46) Ed Corrie, UT, 6-7 (6), 6-4, 6-2.
4. (#119) Luis Diaz Barriga, UT def. Gwen Corches, BU, 6-2, 7-5.
5. Attila Bucko, BU def. Miguel Reyes Varela, UT, 7-5, 1-6, 6-3.
6. Jordan Rux, BU def. Josh Zavala, UT, 6-7 (7), 6-3, 6-3.
1. (#10) Corrie/Damico, UT vs. Galic/Lukacs, BU, DNP
2. (#57) Diaz Barriga/Reyes Varela, UT vs. Bucko/Corches, BU, DNP
3. Kutrovsky/Zavala, UT vs. Mueller/Rux, BU, DNP
FINISH ORDER: Singles: 4, 1, 5, 2, 3, 6* Doubles: Not Played
Texas Head Coach Michael Center
“I knew playing singles, and with (Lars) Poerschke out, that we were significantly favored at No. 2 and No. 4, and that we need to get something at the other spots. We had chances, but we just didn’t get them. It is disappointing because I thought we had some opportunities to put them (Baylor) away, but it just didn’t happen today.”