Longhorns get a singles win from sophomore Sarah Lancaster, but Baylor prevails by a 4-1 count Sunday in the finals of the 2008 Big 12 Championship.
No. 20 Texas picked up a singles victory from sophomore Sarah Lancaster, but it wasn’t enough Sunday, as top-seeded Baylor (28-2) scored a 4-1 win over the Horns (18-6) in the finals of the 2008 Big 12 Championship.
The match was delayed by one hour and 15 minutes and began with the singles session due to the lingering threat of inclement weather, and the Bears got on the board first with a 6-0, 6-1 win from Lenka Broosova over UT sophomore Stephanie Davison at third singles. The Bears pushed their lead to 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 win at first singles from Zuzana Zemenova over Texas sophomore Vanja Corovic.
Baylor took a 3-0 lead when Jelena Stanivuk tallied a 7-5, 6-1 win over UT freshman Maggie Mello at fifth singles before Jana Bielikova dealt Texas freshman Caroline Larsson a 6-2, 7-5 defeat at fourth singles to clinch the match.
Only moments later, Lancaster put Texas on the board with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Zuzana Chmelarova at the sixth slot, and the remaining match at second singles was called given the Bears’ clinch of the team victory.
Texas awaits the NCAA Tournament selection announcement set for Tuesday, April 29 at 1 p.m. Central on ESPNEWS.
2008 Big 12 Championship – Women’s Finals
No. 3 Baylor 4, No. 20 Texas 1
1. (#24) Zuzana Zemenova, BU def. (#59) Vanja Corovic, UT, 6-2, 6-3.
2. (#38) Taylor Ormond, BU vs. Courtney Zauft, UT, DNF
3. (#17) Lenka Broosova, BU def. Stephanie Davison, UT, 6-0, 6-1.
4. (#100) Jana Bielikova, BU def. Caroline Larsson, UT, 6-2, 7-5.
5. Jelena Stanivuk, BU def. Maggie Mello, UT, 7-5, 6-1.
6. Sarah Lancaster, UT def. Zuzana Chmelarova, BU, 6-2, 6-3.
1. (#5) Broosova/Zemenova, BU vs. (#28) Corovic/Marija Milic, UT, DNP
2. (#59) Ormond/Stanivuk, BU vs. Davison/Larsson, UT, DNP
3. Bielikova/Chmelarova, BU vs. Mello/Zauft, UT, DNP
FINISH ORDER: Singles: 3, 1, 5, 4*, 6 Doubles: Not Played
Patty Fendick-McCain, Texas Head Coach
“Baylor played a little too well for us today. They are a tough team and I thought that our players fought really well. We had a pretty late night last night, so it was good to see them come out and put out the effort that they did today. We really just wanted to get into doubles, but unfortunately that just didn’t happen today.”