After losing in the first round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championship on Saturday, the No. 40 Texas Tech men’s tennis team rebounded with a 4-0 win over No. 56 Middle Tennessee State on Sunday at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center in Austin, Texas.
“It was a hard fought win,” head coach Tim Siegel said. “It was the type of match we will see the entire year. We will win some close ones and we will lose some close ones, but I was proud of how we bounced back after our tough loss yesterday.”
The Red Raiders (3-1) got wins at No. 2 and 3 doubles to claim the doubles point and go up 1-0 to start the match against the Blue Raiders (0-2). Tech’s No. 3 doubles team got the first win of the day as Vitor Manzini and David Pace beat Shaun Waters and Kyle Wishing, 8-3. The 35th-ranked pair of Gonzalo Escobar and Andre Stabile defeated Richard Cowden and Matthew Langley, 8-3, at the No. 2 spot.
In singles action, Tech started off by winning five first sets. Manzini and Stabile then went on to win their second set at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively, to claim their matches in straight sets. Manzini won over Alex McCann, 6-0, 6-3, while Stabile dropped Langley, 6-0, 6-4.
With the Red Raiders up 3-0, they needed just one more victory to win the match. The remaining three matches all went to a third set but Tech’s No. 1 player and 25th-ranked Raony Carvalho captured his third set first to get that fourth win for the Red Raiders. Carvalho beat No. 105 John Peers, 6-3, 4-6, 7-5.
Tech returns to action on Feb. 13, as it hosts a doubleheader with McMurry at 9 a.m. and Abilene Christian at 2 p.m. at the McLeod Tennis Center.
#40 Texas Tech 4, #56 Middle Tennessee State 0
Penick-Allison Tennis Center, Austin, Texas
ITA Kick-Off Weekend
Doubles – Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. #23 Peers/Melo (MTSU) vs. #19 Carvalho/Garcia (TTU), 7-3, susp.
2. #35 Escobar/Stabile (TTU) def. Cowden/Langley (MTSU), 8-3
3. Manzini/David Pace (TTU) def. Waters/Kyle Wishing (MTSU), 8-3
Singles – Order of Finish: 5, 4, 1
1. #25 Raony Carvalho (TTU) def. #105 John Peers (MTSU), 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
2. #40 Gonzalo Escobar (TTU) vs. Victor Melo (MTSU), 7-6, 2-6, 2-0, susp.
3. Rafael Garcia (TTU) vs. Richard Cowden (MTSU), 6-7, 6-1, 2-1, susp.
4. Andre Stabile (TTU) def. Matthew Langley (MTSU), 6-0, 6-4
5. Vitor Manzini (TTU) def. Alex McCann (MTSU), 6-0, 6-3
6. Raphael Pfister (TTU) vs. Shaun Waters (MTSU), 7-5, 6-7, 3-2, susp.