The No. 32 Texas Tech men’s tennis team picked up its seventh-straight win as it defeated No. 49 Denver, 4-0, at the McLeod Tennis Center on Sunday morning.
The match started off with doubles play and then went into singles action. However, after the Red Raiders (9-1) picked up their fourth point of the contest to win it, the match was stopped to high winds and cold temperature.
Tech was able to pull out two of three wins over Denver (8-2) in doubles play as the No. 3 tandem of Vitor Manzini and Raphael Pfister dominated Enej Bonin and Fabio Biasion, 8-0. Then the No. 2 and 16th-ranked pair of Gonzalo Escobar and Andre Stabile lost to Yannick Weihs and Jens Vorkefeld, 8-6. The No. 1 duo of Raony Carvalho and Rafael Garcia pulled out the doubles win for the Red Raiders as they defeated David Simson and Andrew Landwerlen, 8-3.
The Red Raiders continued to control the match as they were victorious in all six-opening sets. Tech was able to get straight-set wins at No. 6, 1, and 2 in that order to clinch the match. Manzini moved down a spot to No. 6 where he beat Vorkefeld, 6-4, 6-1. Then came 63rd-ranked Carvalho’s victory at No. 1 as he dropped Weihs, 6-2, 6-2. Not far behind was 41st-ranked Escobar winning at No. 2 over Simson, 6-0, 6-3.
“This was a good win today under awful conditions,” said head coach Tim Siegel. “We out-toughed a very tough team in Denver. We had great team spirit this weekend from everyone, including our four fifth-year guys who came out to support us. We are playing at a very high level at No. 1 and No. 2 singles.”
#32 Texas Tech 4, #49 Denver 0
McLeod Tennis Center
Doubles (order of finish: 3, 2, 1)
1. Carvalho/Garcia (TTU) def. Simson/Landwerlen (DEN), 8-3
2. Weihs/Vorkefeld (DEN) def. #16 Escobar/Stabile (TTU), 8-6
3. Manzini/Pfister (TTU) def. Bonin/Biasion (DEN), 8-0
Singles (order of finish: 5, 1, 2)
1. #63 Raony Carvalho (TTU) def. Yannick Weihs (DEN), 6-2, 6-2
2. #41 Gonzalo Escobar (TTU) def. David Simson (DEN), 6-0, 6-3
3. Rafael Garcia (TTU) vs. Enej Bonin (DEN), 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
4. Andre Stabile (TTU) vs. Fabio Biasion (DEN), 7-6 (1), 3-4, unfinished
5. Raphael Pfister (TTU) def. Jens Vorkefeld (DEN), 6-4, 6-1
6. Vitor Manzini (TTU) vs. Andrew Landwerlen (DEN), 6-4, 5-4, unfinished