The Rice women’s tennis team completed a sweep of matches in Louisiana on Sunday, downing Tulane 6-1 at the Goldring Tennis Center on the Tulane campus Sunday afternoon. Rice defeated LSU, 4-3 on Saturday.
The Owls (8-3/1-0) won their fifth straight match despite some early struggles in the doubles matches.
“I was extremely pleased with the fight our team showed today. We started a little slow in doubles, but really dug deep and got the job done against a talented Tulane team,” Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. “It was great that Rebekka and Ana were able to pull out those tiebreak victories to finish off the match. They both stepped up on the big points and really trusted their shots,” she added.
As with the match at LSU, the Owls opened with the doubles point and saw the clinching points come from the lower part of the lineup. Senior Rebecca Lin and junior Jessica Jackson won their matches in straight sets and freshman Danny Trigo followed suite to provide the clinching fourth point.
The Owls will be off until early March when they hit the road for matches at Wichita State (March 12) and Tulsa (March 13).
#40 Rice Owls 6, Tulane Green Wave 1
1. #63 Rebekka Hanle (RICE) def. Mariam Kurdadze (TLN) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Emma Levy (TLN) def. Julie Chao (RICE) 6-4, 6-2
3. #100 Jessica Jackson (RICE) def. Elizabeth Hamlin (TLN) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Lindsay Dvorak (TLN) 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Rebecca Lin (RICE) def. Emma Helisten (TLN) 6-2, 6-0
6. Danny Trigo (RICE) def. Caroline Gerber (TLN) 6-4, 6-0
1. #31 Julie Chao/Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Mariam Kurdadze/Emma Levy (TLN) 8-4
2. Jessica Jackson/Alex Rasch (RICE) def. Lindsay Dvorak/Emma Helisten (TLN) 9-7
3. Rebekka Hanle/Rebecca Lin (RICE) def. Marcela Fonseca/Elizabeth Hamlin (TLN) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,3,6,2,1,4)