The 40th ranked Rice women’s tennis team won their fourth straight match, and their third consecutive over a ranked opponent, taking a 4-3 decision over No. 73 LSU at W. T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium in Baton Rouge on Saturday.
“I was pleased with the fight out team showed today,” Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. “LSU is always a tough place to play and our team really rose to the challenge. We played solid in all 3 doubles matches and that really set the tone early,” she added.
The Owls quickly jumped out to grab the doubles point. Jessica Jackson and Alex Rasch shut out the Tigers’ Hannah Robinson and Nicole Kantor, 8-0. Julie Chao and Ana Guzman, who are currently ranked 31st in doubles, clinched the point with an 8-6 win at No. 1.
The bottom half of Rice’s lineup made sure that the final result was never in doubt. Rebecca Lin, Ana Guzman, and Danny Trigo closed out their matches in straight sets to give the Owls the four points needed to clinch the match.
The Owls will open Conference USA play on Sunday when they visit Tulane at the Goldring Tennis Center at noon.
#40 Rice 4, #72 LSU 3
1. Whitney Wolf (LSU) def. #63 Rebekka Hanle (RICE) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Julie Chao (RICE) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7
3. Nicole Kantor (LSU) def. #100 Jessica Jackson (RICE) 6-2, 4-5, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Rebecca Lin (RICE) def. Hannah Robinson (LSU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Danny Trigo (RICE) def. Ebie Wilson (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
1. #31 Julie Chao/Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Whitney Wolf/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 8-6
2. Jessica Jackson/Alex Rasch (RICE) def. Hannah Robinson/Nicole Kantor (LSU) 8-0
3. Rebecca Lin/Rebekka Hanle (RICE) def. Kaitlin Burns/Ebie Wilson (LSU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,4,6,1,2,3)