The No. 32 TCU women’s tennis team dropped Sunday’s match with No. 46 Auburn by a score of 4-3 at the City of Auburn/Yarbrough Tennis Center. After taking the doubles point, the Horned Frogs could not find a way to string three wins together in singles action.
“We looked great coming out in doubles and we felt very confident that we could take it today,” TCU head coach Jefferson Hammond said. “Auburn competed well, and we just fell short again. We will look to right the ship at home on Saturday against Texas A&M.”
TCU got off to a good start, taking two of the three doubles matches. Sophomore Kayla Duncan and junior Katariina Tuohimaa teamed up to earn the first win, toppling Auburn’s top duo of Myrthe Molenveld and Caroline Thornton, 8-3. The Tigers’ followed with a win from the middle court, before junior Idunn Hertzberg and sophomore Gaby Mastromarino clinched the point for the Frogs with an 8-6 victory over Paulina Schippers and Plamena Kurteva.
Heading into singles action with a 1-0 lead, Auburn immediately jumps on the scoreboard with a straight-set victory from the fifth flight, as Schippers dominated Mastromarino, 6-0, 6-1. The Tigers added to their advantage as No. 59 Fani Chifchieva took two sets to defeat TCU senior Nina Munch-Soegaard, 6-1, 6-3.
The Frogs would knot the team score at 2-2 from the No. 3 position, as No. 56 Katariina Tuohimaa won her fourth-straight match of the year. The Helsinki, Finland made quick work of Daniela Vukadinovic, earning a 6-3, 6-2 straight-set victory.
Moments later, Alabama moved the score to 3-2 with a win from the sixth flight, as Jil Hastenrath served TCU junior Maria Babanova her eighth loss of the year, 6-3, 7-5. The Tigers clinched the win on the No. 5 court, as Thornton upended Hertzberg, 7-6 (X), 6-2.
Sophomore Kayla Duncan was in the second set of her match with Molenveld when the Tigers’ clinched the win. The Winston-Salem, N.C. product took the second frame, pushing the match into a super tie-breaker to save time. In the end, Duncan found a way to win, 6-7 (X), 6-3, 10-5.
TCU (1-7) will return to the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center to host Texas A&M and Illinois on March 6-7, respectively.
No. 46 Auburn def. No. 32 TCU, 4-3
1. No. 59 Fani Chifchieva (AU) def. Nina Munch-Soegaard (TCU), 6-1, 6-3
2. No. 78 Kayla Duncan (TCU) def. Myrthe Molenveld (AU), 6-7 (5), 6-3, 10-5
3. No. 56 Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) def. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Caroline Thornton (AU) def. Idunn Hertzberg (TCU), 7-6 (5), 6-2
5. Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Gaby Mastromarino (TCU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Maria Babanova (TCU), 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 3, 6, 4*, 2
1. Duncan/Tuohimaa (TCU) def. Molenveld/Thornton (AU), 8-3
2. Chifchieva/Hastenrath (AU) def. Babanova/Munch-Soegaard (TCU), 8-5
3. Hertzberg/Mastromarino (TCU) def. Schippers/Kurteva (AU), 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3*