The No. 13 Texas Tech men’s tennis team extended its winning streak to 15 matches with a 4-3 win over No. 27 Fresno State on Tuesday afternoon at the McLeod Tennis Center.
The match started with Fresno State (13-7) sweeping Tech (17-1) in doubles to claim the doubles point to take at 1-0 lead heading into singles. The doubles-point loss snapped a seven-match streak in which the Red Raiders had won the doubles portion of the match.
Tech started off singles with a win at No. 2 as 63rd-ranked Gonzalo Escobar easily defeated 123rd-ranked Tejesvi Veerepalli, 6-0, 6-1, to tie the score at 1-1. From there, the match was back and forth as the Bulldogs won the next match at No. 6. The Red Raiders knotted it up a 2-2 with a victory at No. 1 as 15th-ranked Raony Carvalho beat Mirko Zapletal, 6-3, 6-4. Fresno State then won at No. 3, and the Red Raiders got a win from Andre Stabile as he dropped David Ayoun, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 4.
The match came down to the No. 5 spot. Vitor Manzini had won the first set 6-4 and was up 4-3 when Stabile’s match ended. Manzini broke Siddharth Alapati to go up 5-3, but Alapati broke right back to put the score at 5-4. Manzini fought back to break again and to clinch his match, 6-4, and give Tech the victory.
“We were fortunate enough to get the win today,” said head coach Tim Siegel. “Fresno State is a good team and I have a lot of respect for Jay (Udwadia), and they even played without their No. 2 player today. I was pleased with our win but we are going to have to step it up beginning Saturday (vs. Texas) for Big 12 play.”
Tech begins Big 12 Conference action on Sat., April 3, as it hosts No. 5 Texas at 12 p.m. at the McLeod Tennis Center.
#13 Texas Tech 4, #27 Fresno State 3
McLeod Tennis Center
Doubles (order of finish: 3, 2, 1)
1. Leiby/Veerepalli (FSU) def. #18 Carvalho/Garcia (TTU), 9-8 (9)
2. Zapletal/Alapati (FSU) def. #23 Escobar/Stabile (TTU), 8-6
3. Boutillier/Ayoun (FSU) def. Manzini/David Gonzalez (TTU), 9-7
Singles (order of finish: 2, 6, 1, 3, 4, 5)
1. #15 Raony Carvalho (TTU) def. Mirko Zapletal (FSU), 6-3, 6-4
2. #63 Gonzalo Escobar (TTU) def. Tejesvi Veerepalli (FSU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Remi Boutillier (FSU) def. Rafael Garcia (TTU), 6-2, 7-4 (1)
4. Andre Stabile (TTU) def. David Ayoun (FSU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Vitor Manzini (TTU) def. Siddharth Alapati (FSU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Taylor Leiby (FSU) def. Raphael Pfister (TTU), 6-4, 7-5