ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.- The UTEP tennis team was bounced by Wichita State, 7-0, in a neutral-site match-up Sunday afternoon. The Miners (0-4) picked up a victory at No. 1 doubles but dropped the team point after the Shockers (1-2) secured wins at No. 2 and No. 3. Junior Carolina DeLuca, sophomore Dariya Abdrakhmanova and freshman Rebeca Calvillo all took their foes to three sets in singles play only to come up empty, and WSU notched straight-set victories on the other courts.
“The ladies competed very well,” UTEP head coach Victor Aguilar said. “We have run into some stiff competition so far. We are learning from our defeats and are getting stronger.”
Martina Trierweiler/DeLuca joined up at the top slot to dismantle WSU’s Raphaela Zotter/ Lutfiana Budiharto, 8-2, to get things off to a good start in doubles play for the Orange and Blue.
The Shockers struck back to notch the early team lead thanks to 8-2 victories at both No. 2 and No. 3. Blasco Fernandez/ Veronika Blaskova dispatched the Miners’ tandem of Ximena Fuentes/Gabi Vazquez, 8-2, in the second position while Delia Damaschin/ Carla Venticinque snuck past Calvillo/Marie LeBlond by the same score.
UTEP vied to rally in singles play but could not get it done. DeLuca locked up with Zotter at No. 2 singles. She started slowly by falling in the first set, 6-1, before bouncing her foe, 6-3, in the second stanza. In the final set, though, things went the way of Zotter, 6-1.
At No. 4 singles it was Calvillo who raced out ahead early against Blaskova, picking up the first-set triumph, 6-4. Blaskova rebounded with a 6-3 win in the second set and then took the super tiebreaker, 10-3.
Saddled with a similar fate was Abdrakhmanova in her match against Fernandez at the sixth spot. She came up just shy, 6-4, in the initial set but rallied to lock up the second set, 7-6. The breaker went back-and-forth but ultimately landed on the side of Fernandez, 10-6.
Trierweiler ran into a locked in Budiharto at No. 1 singles, and was dispatched by a final count of 6-4, 6-2. Vazquez challenged Damaschin at No. 3 singles, where she was held off by a final count of 6-3, 6-0. Fuentes never got on track and was stricken with a 6-0, 6-0, setback by Venticinque at No. 5 singles.
1. Lutfiana Budiharto (WSU) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 6-4, 6-2
2. Raphaela Zotter (WSU) def. Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) 6-1, 3-6, 6-13. Delia Damaschin (WSU) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-3, 6-0
4. Veronika Blaskova (WSU) def. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-3)
5. Carla Venticinque (WSU) def. Ximena Fuentes (UTEP) 6-0, 6-0
6. Blasco Fernandez (WSU) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 6-4, 6-7, 1-0 (10-6)
1. Martina Trierweiler/Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) def. Lutfiana Budiharto/Raphaela Zotter (WSU) 8-2
2. Blasco Fernandez/Veronika Blaskova (WSU) def. Ximena Fuentes/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 8-2
3. Delia Damaschin/Carla Venticinque (WSU) def. Rebeca Calvillo/Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 8-