MELBOURNE, Fla. – The 32nd-ranked St. Edward’s women’s tennis team dropped a 6-3 decision to #28 Florida Tech Friday afternoon at the Fee Avenue Tennis Courts.
St. Edward’s (0-4) was able to pick up one point from the doubles competition. Audrey Tompkins (Junior, Katy) teamed up with Mary Bain (Junior, Austin, Texas) to win at the number two position over Abigal Greif and Monica Price, 8-3. Florida Tech (4-4) would win the other two doubles matches to take a 2-1 lead heading into singles play.
In singles play, Bain won her first set at the No. 4 position, and hung on to win in a super tiebreaker, 7-5, 6-7, 10-3 over Price. Heather Brein (Junior, College Station) would capture victory for the Hilltoppers at the No. 5 position, defeating Stephanie Dohner in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3.
St. Edward’s would falter in the other four singles matches in straight sets as the Panthers would coast to a 6-3 victory.
St. Edward’s will be back in action Saturday with match number two of its three-match Florida swing. They will take on Florida Southern and first-serve is set for 9 a.m. in Lakeland, Fla.
St. Edwards vs Florida Tech (Feb 25, 2011)
#28 Florida Tech 6, #32 St. Edwards 3
Feb 25, 2011 at Melbourne, Fla. (Fee Avenue Tennis Courts)
1. #24 Katarina Huba (FTW) def. Paige Rachel (SEUWT) 6-4, 6-3
2. Abigail Greif (FTW) def. Carolina Fahnehjelm (SEUWT) 6-4, 6-4
3. Kristina Huba (FTW) def. Audrey Tompkins (SEUWT) 6-2, 6-3
4. Mary Bain (SEUWT) def. Monica Price (FTW) 7-5, 6-7, 10-3
5. Heather Brien (SEUWT) def. Stephanie Dohner (FTW) 6-3, 6-3
6. Abbey Keister (FTW) def. Anne Ruscoe (SEUWT) 7-5, 6-1
1. Katarina Huba/Kristina Huba (FTW) def. Paige Rachel/Carolina Fahnehjelm (SEUWT) 8-6
2. Audrey Tompkins/Mary Bain (SEUWT) def. Abigail Greif/Monica Price (FTW) 8-3
3. Abbey Keister/Alexis Weinnig (FTW) def. Heather Brien/Anne Ruscoe (SEUWT) 8-4
St. Edwards 0-4; National ranking #32; Regional ranking #6
Florida Tech 4-4; National ranking #28; Regional ranking #7