Sophomore Nina Secerbegovic won her 11th consecutive singles match
STILLWATER, Okla. – Baylor’s ninth-ranked women’s tennis team (13-3, 3-1) cruised to a 6-1 win on the road over Oklahoma State (4-9, 1-2) on Saturday in Stillwater, Okla.
“Our focus and maturity was very good today,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “We’re definitely moving in the right direction.”
The Lady Bears kicked off the day with a solid performance on the doubles courts, sweeping the Cowgirls to take an early 1-0 lead. Baylor then kept the momentum rolling, taking five of six singles matches in straights, and losing only a total of six games on the first three courts.
Oklahoma State was able to give Baylor a run on the doubles courts, losing by just one break point in each. On Court 2, Diana Nakic and Sona Novakova were the first to finish with an 8-6 win over OSU’s Kanyapat Narattana and Malika Rose. Baylor’s Karolina Filipiak and Nina Secerbegovic then clinched the point for Baylor with a 9-7 win on Court 1 over Sasha Belova and Nataliya Shatkovskaya. Taylor Ormond and Jelena Stanivuk also added an 8-6 win over Sarah Meghoufel and C.C. Sardinha on Court 3.
The top three singles courts finished at a furious pace to clinch the match for the Lady Bears. No. 19 Novakova double-zeroed Shatkovskaya, 6-0, 6-0, on Court 1, while 34th-ranked Secerbegovic nearly equaled the feat, beating Belova 6-1, 6-0. The win marked Secerbegovic’s 11th in a row in singles matches.
With a comfortable 3-0 lead, the 44th-ranked Nakic added the match-winning point on Court 3. The junior defeated OSU’s Malika Rose easily 6-3, 6-2, for her fifth consecutive singles victory.
On Court 4, OSU’s Sardinha pushed 119th-ranked Stanivuk in the first set, but the Baylor senior took a 7-5, 6-3 win, just ahead of her teammate Filipiak on Court 5. Filipiak won a first set tiebreak 7-6(3), then got a late break-point to defeat Narattana 7-5 in the second set. OSU’s Meghoufel earned the lone Cowgirl point with a 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (8) super tiebreaker win over Ormond.
Baylor will travel just down the road to Norman, Okla., to take on the 18th-ranked Sooners to complete the weekend roadtrip. The teams will hit the courts in doubles at 1 p.m.
Oklahoma State vs Baylor
Mar 26, 2011 at Stillwater, Okla.
#9 Baylor 6, Oklahoma State 1
1. #19 Sona Novakova (BU) def. Nataliya Shatkovskay (OSU) 6-0, 6-0
2. #34 Nina Secerbegovic (BU) def. Sasha Belova (OSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. #44 Diana Nakic (BU) def. Malika Rose (OSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. #119 Jelena Stanivuk (BU) def. C.C. Sardinha (OSU) 7-5, 6-3
5. #116 Karolina Filipiak (BU) def. Kanyapat Nartanna (OSU) 7-6 (7-3), 7-5
6. Sarah Meghoufel (OSU) def. Taylor Ormond (BU) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Karolina Filipiak/Nina Secerbegovic (BU) def. Sasha Belova/Nataliya Shatkovskay (OSU) 9-7
2. Diana Nakic/Sona Novakova (BU) def. Kanyapat Nartanna/Malika Rose (OSU) 8-6
3. Taylor Ormond/Jelena Stanivuk (BU) def. Sarah Meghoufel/C.C. Sardinha (OSU) 8-6
Oklahoma State 4-9, 1-2
Baylor 13-3, 3-1; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,3,4,6,5)