The Rice women’s tennis team completed a weekend sweep of matches by downing Tulane 5-2 at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium on Sunday.
“Our team competed very well again today,” Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said “I was pleased with our doubles on all three courts. We got the job done by playing disciplined and aggressive. In singles, it was a total team effort and everyone fought for every single point to help us secure another tough victory against a talented team,” she added.
The Owls (11-8) raced out to an early lead thanks to a sweep of the doubles matches, and increased the lead to 2-0 when Dominique Harmath picked up a quick win at No. 1 after Tulane’s Mariam Kurdadze was forced to retire because of an injury.
Rice then closed out the match as Rebekka Hänle and Jessica Jackson won their matches in straight sets.
The Owls will be back in action next Saturday when they host Southern Miss at 11 am at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium.
Tennis Match Results
Tulane vs Rice
3/27/2011 at Houston, TX
(Jake Hess Tennis Stadium)
#69 Rice 5, Tulane 2
1. Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Mariam Kurdadze (TLN) 2-0, retired
2. Rebekka Hänle (RICE) def. Emma Levy (TLN) 6-3, 6-3
3. Jessica Jackson (RICE) def. Lindsay Dvorak (TLN) 6-2, 6-1
4. Hila Elster (TLN) def. Ana Guzman (RICE) 7-5, 6-1
5. Kim Anicete (RICE) def. Katherine Cecil (TLN) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Emma Helisten (TLN) def. Alex Rasch (RICE) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (210-6)
1. Rebekka Hänle/Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Mariam Kurdadze/Emma Levy (TLN) 8-1
2. Dominique Harmath/Alex Rasch (RICE) def. Emma Helisten/Lindsay Dvorak (TLN) 8-5
3. Daniella Trigo/Jessica Jackson (RICE) def. Hila Elster/Katherine Cecil (TLN) 8-5
Rice 11-8; National ranking #69
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,3,2,5,4)