DENTON – The UTEP tennis team was tripped up by No. 66 Santa Barbara, 7-0, in a neutral-site match Sunday afternoon. The Miners (4-11) battled but could not ever put it all together in the eventual setback to the nationally-ranked Gauchos (10-6).
“We played them closely in doubles,” UTEP head coach Victor Aguilar said. “We fought hard. We are now getting ready for New Mexico State on Wednesday.”
Action initiated in doubles where the Orange and Blue put up a good fight in each of the matches but ultimately had to settle for the moral victory.
At No. 1 doubles the Miners’ duo of Carolina DeLuca/Martina Trierweiler locked up with Jordan Dockendorf/Natalia Lozano, eventually falling by a final count of 8-4. Ximena Fuentes/Gabi Vazquez traded blows with Kiersten Meehen/Sofia Novak in an 8-5 setback at the second spot while the tandem of Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Alexandra Glebova was derailed by Paola Cos/Erica Cano, 8-4, at No. 3.
There was a short break before focus changed to the singles matches, where UTEP’s aspirations of a comeback did not come to fruition. Abdrakhmanova pushed Novak to the limits, only to come up shy in three sets, 6-3, 0-6, 6-1 at No. 2 singles.
Vazquez took on Dockendorf at No. 3 singles. She dropped the first set, 6-2. The freshman regrouped and played at a much higher level in the second set, but she still was bounced, 6-4.
The Orange and Blue’s top player, Trierweiler, took on Lozano at No. 1 singles. She showed plenty of poise in an entertaining first set, but couldn’t close the deal in a 7-6 defeat. The sophomore trailed, 3-0, midway through the second set before she was forced to retire.
Marie LeBlond was saddled with a sluggish start against Meehen at No. 5 singles, dropping the initial set by a count of 6-2. She battled and was much more competitive in the second set but it wasn’t enough in a 6-4 defeat.
Glebova ran into a buzzsaw in the form of Cos at No.4 singles, and was knocked off by a final tally of 6-2, 6-0. It was a similar fate for her fellow classmate, Fuentes, at No. 6 singles. Cano bested the Mexico native, 6-0, 6-1.
1. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 7-6, 3-0, retired
2. Sofia Novak (UCSB) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 6-3, 0-6, 6-1
3. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-2, 6-4
4. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Alexandra Glebova (UTEP) 6-2, 6-0
5. Kiersten Meehen (UCSB) def. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 6-2, 6-4
6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Ximena Fuentes (UTEP) 6-0, 6-1
1. Jordan Dockendorf/Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Carolina DeLuca/Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 8-4
2. Kiersten Meehen/Sofia Novak (UCSB) def. Ximena Fuentes/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 8-5
3. Paola Cos/Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Alexandra Glebova (UTEP) 8-4
The Miners will have a quick turnaround, playing at NM State at 2:30 p.m. MDT Wednesday.