DENTON – Freshman Marie LeBlond posted a win at No. 5 singles while the doubles tandem of Carolina DeLuca/Martina Trierweiler rolled at the top slot to highlight the play for the UTEP tennis team in a 6-1 setback against Northwestern State Saturday afternoon.
The Miners (4-10) competed hard but were unable to get things going against the defending Southland Conference champion Demons (10-3). UTEP fell behind early after NSU staked the doubles point, and it could not make up the deficit during singles action.
“I thought we played well, it was just a very tough opponent,” UTEP head coach Victor Aguilar said. “I am proud of how the ladies competed. We are getting ready for conference with each match we play.”
At the No. 1 doubles position, it was the Orange and Blue who were in top form. DeLuca/Trierweiler toppled Olga Bazhanova/Adna Curukovic, 8-5. The Demons were able to recover, though, with Kathrin Lange/Bianca Schulz besting Alexandra Glebova/Dariya Abdrakhmanova, 8-2, at No. 3 doubles and Andrea Nedorostova/Martina Rubesova derailing the duo of Ximena Fuentes/Gabi Vazquez, 8-0, at the second spot.
Following a short break, singles play commenced where LeBlond led the way. She locked up with Nedorostova at the No. 5 spot, and promptly dropped the first set by a count of 4-6. LeBlond remained composed, though, and bounced back in the second set, 7-5. It went to a super tiebreaker, in lieu of the third set, but she handled the format change like a seasoned veteran. She claimed it, 11-9.
Glebova kept things tight against Schultz at No. 4 singles but had to settle for the moral victory. She was held off, 3-6, 5-7. Fuentes battled Lange at No. 6. She came up shy in the first set, 4-6, but recovered to claim the second set by a count of 6-3. In the super breaker, however, she was out of rhythm in the 4-10 defeat.
Vazquez and Rubesova took to the court together for No. 3 singles. The freshman was tripped up in the opening set, 2-6. She played much better in the second set but still was downed, 4-6. DeLuca hard a very similar situation against Curukovic at No. 2 singles. She was bounced, 1-6, to open up the match before forcing her foe to secure a much narrower margin of triumph, 4-6, in the second set. Trierweiler never got on track in her match against Bazhanova at No. 1 singles, falling 2-6, 2-6.
The Miners will conclude their stay in Denton, Texas, by taking on UC Santa Barbara at 9 a.m. MDT Sunday.
1. Olga Bazhanova (NWST) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 6-2, 6-2
2. Adna Curukovic (NWST) def. Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) 6-1, 6-4
3. Martina Rubesova (NWST) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-2, 6-4
4. Bianca Schulz (NWST) def. Alexandra Glebova (UTEP) 6-3, 7-5
5. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Andrea Nedorostova (NWST) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (11-9)
6. Kathrin Lange (NWST) def. Ximena Fuentes (UTEP) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4
1. Carolina DeLuca/Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) def. Olga Bazhanova/Adna Curukovic (NWST) 8-5
2. Andrea Nedorostova/Martina Rubesova (NWST) def. Ximena Fuentes/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 8-0
3. Kathrin Lange/Bianca Schulz (NWST) def. Alexandra Glebova/Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 8-2