The Frogs will return to action to battle No. 39 Nebraska at 8 a.m. CT
ATHENS, Ga. – The TCU men’s tennis team stumbled in its first road contest of the season, falling to No. 4 Georgia by the score of 7-0 Sunday.
TCU (1-1) battled tough against two of the best doubles tandems in the country. Freshman Nick Chappell and junior JT Sundling had their hands full with the No. 8 pairing of Wil Spencer and Garrett Brasseaux, dropping an 8-6 decision. Georgia’s second-best duo of Sadio Doumbia and Ignacio Taboada, currently listed as the No. 9 doubles team in the nation, clinched the early 1-0 advantage for the Bulldogs with an 8-4 win over TCU’s Paul Chappell and Will Stein.
In singles action, UGA’s Ku Singh displaced the Frogs’ Daniel Sanchez in straight sets on the No. 3 court, while Taboada followed with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over junior Max Stevens. Georgia clinched the team win as No. 10 Doumbia took down Sundling by the score of 6-0, 6-3.
The Frogs will return to action to battle No. 39 Nebraska at 8 a.m. CT. Nebraska dropped a 4-3 score to No. 34 Virginia Tech Sunday to earn the right to play TCU Monday morning. The Huskers have two singles players ranked in the ITA top-75 with No. 41 Christopher Aumueller and No. 78 Benedikt Lindheim. Nebraska’s doubles team of Aumueller and Lindheim is ranked No. 7 in the country, while the duo of Robert Schulze and Andre Stenger areranked No. 44.
#4 Georgia 7, #51 TCU 0
1. #3 Wil Spencer (UGA) def. Nick Chappell (TCU) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. #10 Sadio Doumbia (UGA) def. JT Sundling (TCU) 6-0, 6-3
3. KU Singh (UGA) def. Daniel Sanchez (TCU) 6-2, 6-3
4. #26 Ignacio Taboada (UGA) def. Max Stevens (TCU) 6-3, 7-5
5. #64 Hernus Pieters (UGA) def. Paul Chappell (TCU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Facundo Lugones (TCU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2*, 1, 6, 5
1. #8 Wil Spencer/Garrett Brasseaux (UGA) def. Nick Chappell/JT Sundling (TCU) 8-6
2. #9 Sadio Doumbia/Ignacio Taboada (UGA) def. Paul Chappell/Will Stein (TCU) 8-4
3. Hernus Pieters/KU Singh (UGA) vs. Daniel Sanchez/Blake Wiggins (TCU) 7-7, unfinished
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2)