EL PASO – Marie LeBlond and Dariya Abdrakhmanova each secured wins in singles play while UTEP also earned the doubles point but it wasn’t enough in a 4-3 setback to UMKC at the El Paso Tennis Club Sunday afternoon.
The Miners (2-9) got off to a great start with dominant showings in doubles play. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo rolled past Eva Dalvai/Laura Bouet, 8-3, at No. 1 while Marie LeBlond/Gabi Vazquez toppled Suzan Lisenby/Amelie Amsallem, 8-5, at the second spot. Anastasiya Sylenko/Dariya Abdrakhmanova crushed Madeline Schulte/Gabriela Pintos, 8-2, at No. 3 to make it a clean sweep in doubles for the home side.
Action then switched to singles, where the Orange and Blue looked to keep it rolling against the Kangaroos (4-5). Abdrakhmanova did her part with a straight set, 6-4, 6-4, victory against Lisenby at No. 4 singles. LeBlond also contributed to the cause, drilling Schulte, 6-3, at No. 6.
The Miners needed just one more win to lock up the team triumph, but it did not come to fruition. Trierweiler downed Dalvai, 6-2, in the opening set at No. 1 singles but her foe bounced back to secure the final two sets, 6-3, 7-5. It was a similar story for Vazquez at No. 3 singles against Amsallem. The sophomore staked the first set, 7-6, but Amsallem managed to pull out the final two sets, 6-4, 6-4.
Calvillo couldn’t get on track against Bouet at No. 2. She was derailed by a final score of 6-3, 6-3, while Sylenko was downed, 6-2, 6-2, against Yakominich at No. 5.
UTEP will return to the courts when it plays host to New Mexico at 1 p.m. MST Thursday.
1. Eva Dalvai (UMKC) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 2-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Laura Bouet (UMKC) def. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 6-3, 6-3
3. Amelie Amsallem (UMKC) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-7, 6-4, 6-4
4. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) def. Suzan Lisenby (UMKC) 6-4, 6-4
5. Jillian Yakominich (UMKC) def. Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 6-2, 6-2
6. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Madeline Schulte (UMKC) 6-3, 6-3
1. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Eva Dalvai/Laura Bouet (UMKC) 8-3
2. Marie LeBlond/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Suzan Lisenby/Amelie Amsallem (UMKC) 8-5
3. Anastasiya Sylenko/Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) def. Madeline Schulte/Gabriela Pintos (UMKC) 8-2