Rice senior Sam Garforth-Bles won his 50th career dual singles match, outlasting Cal-Irvine’s Sam Gould 7-6, 7-5 to highlight a 6-1 Owls win over the Anteaters at San Diego State Tennis Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.
Garforth-Bles and Gould extended their first set to a tie breaker that required 22 games before Garforth-Bles prevailed 12-10. The second set was more of the same as the two were tied 5-5 before the senior from Bragg Creek, Alberta broke through to win the final two games and close out the match.
Playing their first match in 17 days, the Owls showed little rust during the opening doubles competition. They grabbed the match’s first point with wins at No. 3 and No. 1 and then quickly raced to wins at 4, 5 and 6 in singles to clinch the match. Junior Jonathan Chang was victorious in his first appearance at No. 2 singles to extend the lead to 5-1, leaving the final point to Garforth-Bles.
The UCI dual match opened a slate of action for the Owls in San Diego which also includes a dual with Loyola Marymount on Thursday morning and the 123th Pacific Coast Doubles Championships from Thursday through Sunday.
The match with LMU will take place on Thursday morning at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club, which is also the host for the doubles championships.
The Owls will be back in action at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium a week from Saturday, when they host 25th ranked San Diego in a 1 p.m. dual match.
Rice vs Cal-Irvine
2/28/2012 at San Diego, California
(SDSU Tennis Stadium)
#51 Rice 6, Cal-Irvine 1
1. Fabian Matthews (UCI) def. Harry Fowler (RICE) 6-1, 7-6
2. Sam Garforth-Bles (RICE) def. Sam Gould (UCI) 7-6 (12-10), 7-5
3. Jonathan Chang (RICE) def. Jacob Jung (UCI) 6-4, 6-1
4. Christian Saravia (RICE) def. Mika DeCoster (UCI) 6-1, 6-0
5. Michael Nuesslein (RICE) def. Ryan Cheung (UCI) 6-4, 6-3
6. Philipp Seifert (RICE) def. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) 6-0, 6-0
1. Harry Fowler/Christian Saravia (RICE) def. Fabian Matthews/Mika DeCoster (UCI) 8-5
2. Ryan Cheung/Jacob Jung (UCI) def. Michael Nuesslein/Jonathan Chang (RICE) 8-4
3. Leif Berger/Sam Garforth-Bles (RICE) def. Sam Gould/Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) 8-4
Rice 7-4; National ranking #51
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,6,5,1,3,2)