Senior Sona Novakova won her fourth consecutive singles match
LAWRENCE, Kan. – Baylor’s 13th-ranked women’s tennis team took the doubles point and swept the top half of the singles lineup on the way to a 4-3 victory over Kansas on Saturday in Lawrence, Kan.
After splitting the first two doubles matches, Baylor’s (14-5, 1-1) top duo of Ema Burgic and Nina Secerbegovic continued their hot streak together with a clinching 8-6 win. After that, the top of the BU lineup again showed its strength with straight-set wins on Courts 1-3 to claim the victory over the Jayhawks (9-6, 0-3).
“Kansas fought really hard, we’ve got give them credit for pushing us,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “The bottom line is our team is just showing a lot of character right now. I really like the way this team is shaping up and showing how hard we can fight. Tomorrow against Kansas State is a big match, and we’ve got to be ready.”
In doubles, the Lady Bears got an opening 8-5 victory from the senior pair of Diana Nakic and Sona Novakova over KU’s Paulina Los and Maria Belen Luduena to set up the Secerbegovic/Burgic clincher. The 47th-ranked pair then defeated Monica Pezzotti and Dylan Windom 8-6 to help BU claim a 1-0 lead.
The Jayhawks started with a point on a win by default from Baylor on Court 6, but the top of the BU lineup responded swiftly. No. 13 Nakic, No. 27 Secerbegovic and No. 53 Novakova each took care of their opponent, dropping only a combined seven games in three matches.
Nakic defeated Pezzotti on Court 1 and Novakova defeated Belen Luduena on Court 3 each by identical 6-1, 6-1 scores, while Secerbegovic won 6-2, 6-1 over Paulina Los on Court 2 to clinch the match.
In the final match of the day, freshman Megan Horter fell just short against KU’s Dylan Windom in a tiebreaker-filled match. Horter took the first set in a tiebreak 7-6(2), but Windom answered with a tiebreak win the second 7-6(7). In the third set supertiebreaker, Windom out-dueled Horter 13-11.
Baylor will be back in action in the Sunflower State on Sunday, taking on Kansas State at 12 p.m. in Wamego, Kan., at the Wamego Recreation Center. The Lady Bears will look to avenge a 4-3 loss to the Wildcats last season in Waco.
Baylor vs Kansas
Mar 24, 2012 at Lawrence, Kan.
(Jayhawk Tennis Center)
#13 Baylor 4, Kansas 3
1. #13 Diana Nakic (BU) def. Monica Pezzotti (KAN) 6-1, 6-1
2. #27 Nina Secerbegovic (BU) def. Paulina Los (KAN) 6-2, 6-1
3. #53 Sona Novakova (BU) def. Maria Belen Luduena (KAN) 6-1, 6-1
4. Dylan Windom (KAN) def. Megan Horter (BU) 6-7 (2-7), 7-6 (9-7), 1-0 (13-11)
5. Claire Dreyer (KAN) def. Abby Stainback (BU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Victoria Khanevskaya (KAN) def. No player (BU), by default
1. #46 Ema Burgic/Nina Secerbegovic (BU) def. Monica Pezzotti/Dylan Windom (KAN) 8-6
2. Diana Nakic/Sona Novakova (BU) def. Paulina Los/Maria Belen Luduena (KAN) 8-5
3. Victoria Khanevskaya/Claire Dreyer (KAN) def. Megan Horter/Abby Stainback (BU) 8-5
Baylor 14-5, 1-1; National ranking #13
Kansas 9-6, 0-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,1,3,2,5,4)