-Score: St. Mary’s 5, St. Edward’s 4
-Records: St. Edward’s 5-7: St. Mary’s 9-5
-Location: Austin, Texas (Strohmeyer Courts)
How It Happened
-St. Edward’s jumped out to an early 2-1 lead after doubles action, getting wins at the number one and two positions.
-The Hilltoppers got wins from Maximo Agoglia and Felix Bake at the number three and four singles, positions, respectively to get to four points, but the fifth and deciding point proved elusive for the visitors. At the number two position, Pedro Brounstrup split the first two sets with the Rattlers’ Zach Nicholson. Nicholson, however, won the third set to clinch it for the home team.
St. Mary 5, St. Edward’s 4
1. Felix Bake/Pedro Bronstrup (SEUMT) def. Zach Nicholson/Jared Fellows (STMUMT) 8-5
2. James Rogers/Maximo Agoglia (SEUMT) def. Andrej Klipa/Carlos Olea (STMUMT) 8-1
3. Brien Galon/Matt Banner (STMUMT) def. Alexandre Bueno/Adrian Garza (SEUMT) 8-6
1. Andrej Klipa (STMUMT) def. James Rogers (SEUMT) 6-2, 6-2
2. Zach Nicholson (STMUMT) def. Pedro Bronstrup (SEUMT) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
3. Maximo Agoglia (SEUMT) def. Jared Fellows (STMUMT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Felix Bake (SEUMT) def. Carlos Olea (STMUMT) 6-3, 6-2
5. Matt Banner (STMUMT) def. Alexandre Bueno (SEUMT) 6-4, 6-4
6. Brien Galon (STMUMT) def. Jacob Belanger (SEUMT) 6-2, 6-2
Beyond the Box Score
-Despite St. Edward’s losing its last two matches, Bronstrup and Bake have both been impressive in their last 10 matches, posting identical 7-3 records.
-This was the first time St. Mary’s has beaten St. Edward’s since both teams moved to Division II in 1999. St. Edward’s now owns a 16-1 advantage in the series.
Courtside with Coach Sterns
Coach Russell Sterns on today’s match
“St. Mary’s is a much improved program over the last few years which is a credit to new head coach Lisa Dausin. It was a highly competitive match with both teams exhibiting great sportsmanship. We look forward to hopefully seeing them again in the Heartland Conference Tournament in April. Maximo Agoglia had a good day, winning two matches. In singles, Max demonstrated a level of consistency that earned him a straight-set victory over fellow freshman Jared Fellows of Boerne, Texas.”
St. Edward’s will be back in action Wednesday when they travel to take on Incarnate Word. First-serve is set for 2 p.m. in San Antonio, Texas.