WICHITA FALLS – The St. Edward’s men’s tennis team defeated Colorado Mesa, 5-1, Saturday afternoon in its opening-round match of the NCAA South Central Regional Tournament at the MSU Tennis Complex. The victory moves the Hilltoppers on to the Round of 32 where they will face host, Midwestern State.
In doubles action, the duo of PATRICK CLYNES and ALEXANDRE BUENO teamed up to win quickly at number the number two position with an 8-4 win over Mesa’s Blake Demond and Cody Freischlag. After the Mavericks evened the match with a win at number three doubles, St. Edward’s responded with a win at the number one spot. PEDRO BRONSTRUP and FELIX BAKE turned an early deficit into a 9-7 win over Jordan Lyden and Spencer Weinberg.
Ahead 2-1, St. Edward’s needed only three singles victories to clinch the match. They would get wins from MAXIMO AGOGLIA, PATRICK CLYNES, and ADRIAN GARZA. Agoglia made quick work of Demond at the number four spot, 6-2, 6-1. Clynes, playing his best match of the season, took down the 30th-ranked player in Lyden, 6-1, 7-5. Garza clinched the match for the Hilltoppers with his straight-set win over Trevor Brown, 6-1, 6-1.
St. Edward’s will take on Midwestern State on Saturday at the MSU Tennis Complex. First-serve is set for 2 p.m. in the Round of 32 match. The two teams do have some history when it comes to regional tournament play. The Hilltoppers and Mustangs met in a Round of 32 matchup in 2007, in which St. Edward’s won.
St. Edward’s (Texas) vs Colorado Mesa
May 03, 2014 at Wichita Falls, Texas
(MSU Tennis Center)
#24 St. Edward’s (Texas) 5, #45 Colorado Mesa 1
1. PATRICK CLYNES (SEU) def. #30 Jordan Lyden (CMU) 6-1, 7-5
2. Spencer Weinberg (CMU) vs. FELIX BAKE (SEU) 7-6, 4-4, unfinished
3. Andres Garcia-Rojas (CMU) vs. PEDRO BRONSTRUP (SEU) 2-6, 4-1, unfinished
4. MAXIMO AGOGLIA (SEU) def. Blake Demond (CMU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Cody Freischlag (CMU) vs. ALEXANDRE BUENO (SEU) 6-4, 0-6, 1-2, unfinished
6. ADRIAN GARZA (SEU) def. Trevor Brown (CMU) 6-1, 6-1
1. PEDRO BRONSTRUP/FELIX BAKE (SEU) def. Jordan Lyden/Spencer Weinberg (CMU) 9-7
2. PATRICK CLYNES/ALEXANDRE BUENO (SEU) def. Blake Demond/Cody Freischlag (CMU) 8-4
3. Trevor Brown/Andres Garcia-Rojas (CMU) def. MAXIMO AGOGLIA/ADRIAN GARZA (SEU) 8-6
St. Edward’s (Texas) 15-7; National ranking #24; Regional ranking #3
Colorado Mesa 13-10; National ranking #45; Regional ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,1,6)