WICHITA FALLS – The St. Edward’s men’s tennis team gave top-seeded Midwestern State all they could handle Sunday afternoon before falling 5-4, in the NCAA DII Men’s Tennis Round of 32 matchup at the MSU Tennis Center.
In doubles action, PEDRO BRONSTRUP and FELIX BAKE took down the 11th-ranked duo of Tomas Grejtak and Ramon Toyos, 8-6 at the number one position. After PATRICK CLYNES and ALEXANDRE BUENO dropped their match at number two doubles to Kacper Boborykin and Kyle Davidson, 8-5, PEDRO BRONSTRUP and FELIX BAKE were engulfed in a dogfight with Midwestern State’s Jarrod Liston and Zack Santagate. The match would go to a tiebreaker where the Hilltoppers prevailed, 8-6. That gave St. Edward’s a 2-1 lead heading into singles.
Bake made it 3-1 as he blitzed #43 Davidson, 6-1, 6-4, at the number two spot. The Mustangs came roaring back taking wins at the numbers three, six and five spots to take a 4-3 lead. After dropping his first set to #27 Boborykin, Clynes rallied to win the match in three sets, 3-6, 7-5, 6-2. That tied the match at 4-4, with Agoglia and Liston still to finish at number four singles. Agoglia won the first set easily but Liston came back to win the final two sets, 1-6, 7-5, 6-4, and clinch the match for Midwestern State.
“It was great to go up 2-1 out of the doubles,” head coach Russell Sterns said. “Every single singles match was strongly contested. After five hours, the match could still have gone either way. We just literally came up one or two points short. Midwestern State had a great home crowd and we wish them the best of luck at Nationals.”
St. Edward’s ends its season with a 15-8 record. After starting the season 1-5, the Hilltoppers were victorious in 14 of their last 17 matches. Along the way, they captured their six-straight Heartland Conference Championship and advanced to the NCAA DII Tournament for the 13th time since moving up to Division II in 1999.
St. Edward’s (Texas) vs Midwestern State
May 04, 2014 at Wichita Falls, Texas
(MSU Tennis Center)
#17 Midwestern State 5, #24 St. Edward’s (Texas) 4
1. PATRICK CLYNES (SEU) def. #27 Kacper Boborykin (MSU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. FELIX BAKE (SEU) def. #43 Kyle Davidson (MSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Ramon Toyos (MSU) def. PEDRO BRONSTRUP (SEU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Jarrod Liston (MSU) def. MAXIMO AGOGLIA (SEU) 1-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Christopher Norrie (MSU) def. ALEXANDRE BUENO (SEU) 6-1, 6-7 (5-8), 6-1
6. Tomas Grejtak (MSU) def. ADRIAN GARZA (SEU) 7-5, 7-5
1. PEDRO BRONSTRUP/FELIX BAKE (SEU) def. #11 Tomas Grejtak/Ramon Toyos (MSU) 8-6
2. Kacper Boborykin/Kyle Davidson (MSU) def. PATRICK CLYNES/ALEXANDRE BUENO (SEU) 8-5
3. MAXIMO AGOGLIA/ADRIAN GARZA (SEU) def. Jarrod Liston/Zack Santagate (MSU) 9-8 (8-6)
St. Edward’s (Texas) 15-8; National ranking #24; Regional ranking #3
Midwestern State 18-6; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,3,6,5,1,4)
NCAA II South Central Region 1 Championship